COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
How do I sign up for meals?
Signing up for meals is easy! Simply call us at (570) 346-2421 to start meal delivery service.
Our friendly staff will be happy to help you if you have additional questions.
Who is eligible to receive Meals on Wheels?
Meals on Wheels provides daily, home-delivered meals to our homebound neighbors in Lackawanna County who cannot prepare nutritious meals for themselves and do not live with someone who can provide balanced meals on a regular basis. These neighbors include seniors and individuals with disabilities who need our meals to support their health and independence on a long-term basis, as well as adults with temporary needs (such as recuperation from surgery or a hospital stay).
The following are general eligibility guidelines:
1. Over the age of 18
2. Homebound* and unable to meet basic nutritional needs** either temporarily or permanently
3. Have no other reliable means of obtaining daily meals
4. Reside in our service area (Lackawanna County)
*Definition of "homebound": Unable to leave the home without considerable difficulty and/or assistance. A person may leave home for medical treatment or short, infrequent absences for non-medical reasons, such as a trip to the barber or religious services.
**Definition of "unable to meet basic nutritional needs": Unable to prepare/have difficulty preparing at least one nutritious meal daily because of physical or mental limitations, or unable to obtain/have difficulty obtaining necessary food.
Other household members who may be eligible:
1. Spouse or partner caregiver who is caring for the homebound individual.
What are meals like? Can I see a sample menu?
All meals are prepared fresh without preservatives and made right in our downtown Scranton kitchen. Each meal features healthy portions including an entrée, vegetable, bread or grain, fruit or dessert and 2% milk. Here's a sample menu.
How much do meals cost? Is financial assistance available?
Meals on Wheels of NEPA has a variety of programs available. Our Home Delivered Meal Program is available to eligible persons 60 years of age or older and funded in part through the Lackawanna County Area Agency on Aging, and our generous supporters. Call us at (570)-346-2421 for more information.
Our Fee for Service Program is available to persons regardless of age at a cost of $6.00 per meal. Meals are billed on a monthly basis when the recipient receives an invoice for the preceding month’s meals.
What are your delivery options? Are frozen meals available?
In addition to regular hot meal deliver Monday through Friday between approximately 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., we also offer weekly frozen meal delivery if it’s more convenient for you. If you’d like meals for weekends or holidays, additional frozen meals can be delivered during the week. Call us at (570)346-2421 for details.
Are diabetic and other diet-specific options available?
Yes – Meals on Wheels is happy to offer low-sodium, low-fat, and low-calorie meal options. For these options and other specific dietary requirements, please specify when you sign up of for meals.
What meal programs does Meals on Wheels of NEPA offer?
Meals on Wheels offers meals under several programs:
• “Home Delivered Meals Program” - Is available to eligible persons 60 years of age or older and funded in part through the Lackawanna County Area Agency on Aging, and supporters like you.
• “Fee-For-Service” – Meals can be purchased at $6.00 per meal, and will be billed monthly.
• Our “Fast Track” program offers meals at no charge for clients who have been recently discharged from a hospital or rehab center and are unable to prepare meals for themselves. This program can be utilized for up to 20 meals, which is a month’s worth of meals. Call us at (570)346-2421 for details.
• “Young Adult Program” – Is available for eligible persons aged 18-59 years old and is funded by the Lackawanna County Department of Human Services.
Does Meals on Wheels offer any other programs?
Meals on Wheels can be delivered to any person in Lackawanna County (regardless of age) for $6 a day.
• Pet Food Program – provides pet food to clients who have a furry companion.
• The Community Health Outreach and Meals Program (CHOMP) includes monthly visits with a
health care professional student who provides a wellness check, nutrition assessment, health survey,
and mobility analysis. Additionally, weekly light housekeeping is offered through this program. We
utilize a tier system of levels for the depth of cleaning services. Tier 1 includes bringing in the
newspaper, mail in/out of house, taking garbage in/out, and rock salt/ clear walkway in winter. Tier 2
includes all of Tier 1 plus dishes, sweeping or vacuuming of floors, and cleaning countertops. Tier 3
includes everything from Tier 1 and 2, plus laundry, dusting, and wet mopping the floors. For
additional information, please call our office at 570-346-2421.
Call us at (570)346-2421 and we will happily answer any questions!